Monday, June 18, 2012

Golden Week Travels 2/3: Kobe

I suppose I should finish blogging about Golden Week before I write about our trip to Hiroshima . Okay. So after Okinawa we went to Kobe. This is because 1) we wanted to extend our trip, 2) we freaking LOVE Kobe. It would be kind of mundane to go into detail of everything we did, because it was basically a repeat of what we normally do when we escape the inaka for the city: go shopping, go eating, go drinking. However, one meal in particular definitely stood out.





"Eating Kobe Beef" is on many peoples' bucket list for Japan, and for us it was no different, especially since we live in Kansai. We aren't even what I would consider "beef people," and lofty claims about Kobe beef kind of make you wonder if it actually lives up to the hype. I sort of decided on my own that this would be our fancy dinner to celebrate our anniversary, but was a little weary about the cost. I decided to do my homework when it came to this meal. Nothing a little Google and Wikipedia can't help!

Kobe beef (神戸ビーフ) refers to cuts of beef from the black Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyū cattle, raised according to strict tradition in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. The meat is generally considered to be a delicacy, renowned for its flavour, tenderness, and fatty, well-marbled texture. Kobe beef can be prepared as steak, sukiyaki, shabu shabu, sashimi, teppanyaki and more.

Kobe beef is also called "Kobe niku" (神戸肉 lit "Kobe meat"), "Kobe-gyu" (神戸牛, lit Kobe cow) or "Kobe-ushi" (神戸牛, lit Kobe cow) in Japanese.

Despite many American beef products being labeled Kobe, authentic Japanese Kobe beef is not available for sale anywhere outside Japan, with the solitary exception of Macau.

After reading restaurant reviews, I settled on a place called Wakkoqu. It has detailed descriptions of the menu items, seemed foreigner friendly, and takes reservations online. The lunch specials were also very well priced considering how expensive this stuff can be (just check out their dinner menu!)






Did it live up to the hype? I would say say so! This was definitely one of the better meals we've ever had, and it was worth it for the experience alone. I recommend trying it if you are in Japan, but remember, if it's not from Tajima (right over the border from where we live!) then it's not the real thing!  (*´・v・)


Final Golden Week post soon to come! ♥

4 comments:

  1. Hello I'm a JET in Tottori but returning home this summer. The picture of the Kobe beef is making me very hungry! My bf and I are heading to Hyogo Kinosaki onsen this weekend, and we can't wait to savour the Tajima beef course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinosaki is the best! Enjoy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm a JET applicant (just had my interview yesterday, so far so good!) and I've been loving your blog for getting a feel for the job and life it will entail. I see we have lots of common interests, so it's been nice seeing Japan through your eyes (instead of the sour alcoholics that seem to stalk all the forums lol!) But I digress! This is the second pic I've seen of you in that adorable pink cropped sweater! I couldn't resist asking where you got it/what brand it is, on the extremely slim chance I could acquire one! It's so freaking cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was from Kohl's, purchased in 2011 :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...