Sunday, December 11, 2011

Back to December

It has been difficult to find the time and motivation to blog these days, caused by various factors. Even my photo taking habits have decreased quite a bit these last few weeks, but I'll try to make up for it.


Here's what Matt and I have been up to lately:
  • Ran a relay marathon for both of my junior high schools -- Matt ran for my base school, and I ran for my visit school. We also celebrated with each group after the race. 

Enkai with friends from my base school!
  • Had Thanksgiving dinner with some of our local JET friends. We brought pumpkin soup and green bean casserole to share with everyone.
  • Tried out a nearby onsen (hot spring)! It was quite an experience. We have plenty to choose from in this area, so I want to do it more often, especially since it's fun for battling the cold weather! 

Kinosaki Onsen Hot Springs town! It's gorgeous.
  • Went Christmas Caroling with many of my local JETs. We went in 2 different groups around town to train stations, shrines, and peoples' houses! I've actually never done this before, so it was fun for getting into the holiday spirit.
  • Traveled to Kyoto City earlier this week for my Mid-Year Seminar. This seems like fun in theory, but it actually wasn't. I had two full days of lectures and workshops, along with a very bad cold. To top it off, I had to wake up at 4:30 a.m. to make sure I would arrive in time. Yep, that's how far away I live from it. 

A great test of my Japanese listening skills.
  • The good news is that I did get to see a movie on the big screen, which I've been looking forward to all year! It was in Japanese with no subtitles, but I understood most of it. Movie theaters are usually just in the big cities here, unlike America where even small towns might have a cinema.
  • In general, it was nice catching up with friends in Kyoto, since I don't see many of them that often. We also got together last night for a Christmas party, since almost everyone has travel plans for the holidays. Secret Santa gifts were exchanged, and good times were had!
My Secret Santa got me an adorable Korilakkuma plush!

 I'm almost over my cold, and since Mid-Year Seminar is over with, I can relax a lot more! Already started doing Christmas activities at some of my schools, like making cards. It's hard to believe there's only 2 weeks left until Fuyu Yasumi, winter vacation. There's so much to look forward to, but I still have to finish Christmas shopping! How is everyone else doing on their preparations? :3

1 comment:

  1. That onsen is so beautiful!
    Caroling sounds like fun to. I've never done it, bu have always wanted to.

    I hope your cold is getting better! :(

    That plush is adorable! ♥

    My Christmas prep is so far behind though. I finally finished decorating today, but I haven't even started my shopping yet (other than for the work party this morning). I'm hoping I'll have time to fit some in this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...