Here's what Matt and I have been up to lately:
- Ran a relay marathon for both of my junior high schools -- Matt ran for my base school, and I ran for my visit school. We also celebrated with each group after the race.
|Enkai with friends from my base school!|
- Had Thanksgiving dinner with some of our local JET friends. We brought pumpkin soup and green bean casserole to share with everyone.
- Tried out a nearby onsen (hot spring)! It was quite an experience. We have plenty to choose from in this area, so I want to do it more often, especially since it's fun for battling the cold weather!
|Kinosaki Onsen Hot Springs town! It's gorgeous.|
- Went Christmas Caroling with many of my local JETs. We went in 2 different groups around town to train stations, shrines, and peoples' houses! I've actually never done this before, so it was fun for getting into the holiday spirit.
- Traveled to Kyoto City earlier this week for my Mid-Year Seminar. This seems like fun in theory, but it actually wasn't. I had two full days of lectures and workshops, along with a very bad cold. To top it off, I had to wake up at 4:30 a.m. to make sure I would arrive in time. Yep, that's how far away I live from it.
|A great test of my Japanese listening skills.|
- The good news is that I did get to see a movie on the big screen, which I've been looking forward to all year! It was in Japanese with no subtitles, but I understood most of it. Movie theaters are usually just in the big cities here, unlike America where even small towns might have a cinema.
- In general, it was nice catching up with friends in Kyoto, since I don't see many of them that often. We also got together last night for a Christmas party, since almost everyone has travel plans for the holidays. Secret Santa gifts were exchanged, and good times were had!
|My Secret Santa got me an adorable Korilakkuma plush!|
I'm almost over my cold, and since Mid-Year Seminar is over with, I can relax a lot more! Already started doing Christmas activities at some of my schools, like making cards. It's hard to believe there's only 2 weeks left until Fuyu Yasumi, winter vacation. There's so much to look forward to, but I still have to finish Christmas shopping! How is everyone else doing on their preparations? :3