Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Winter is coming, y'all.

There's only a few more weeks until winter sets in. We're even getting snow tires put on the car next week, as required by my BOE since I'm considered a "public servant" and have to set an example for everyone else. It's  quite frigid inside all of my schools now, thanks to the lack of insulation and central heating in this country. At least the staff room usually has the heat on, though. The classrooms wait until it's 10 degrees Celcius before turning them on.

Hot tea between classes is my SAVIOR.

Kerosene stove in the staff room. You get used to the smell.

At home, Matt and I use a combination method. The Japanese swear by their kerosene heaters, and while I agree nothing heats the house faster, I don't like the smell. They also say you should open windows to ventilate the fumes, which is very counterproductive. There is also a heating unit on the aircon, which is nice sometimes. I use a electric space heater in the bathroom for when I get out of the shower, and spend most evenings snuggled under the kotatsu. Our bed also has a heated pad for the chilly nights.

We're doing okay so far, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see when the snow gets here!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I found you via youtube. I really enjoy all your posts, both video and written. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! I'm happy you enjoy my blog & youtube channel :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...