Tuesday, July 5, 2011

New Title, Same Story.


For readers that have been following my blog since April or so, I have changed the title and URL to "Koneko Darling." Apparently it is considered pretentious to refer to oneself as "sensei" in Japan, at least at the ALT level. I was confused by this concept at first, because when I told my friends about being shortlisted, one of them (who happens to be Japanese) said to me, "Congrats, Meru-sensei!" and that's where I got the idea for the blog. I'm even a certified teacher here in the U.S. so I just didn't understand why it would be wrong. Basically, the idea is that it's okay for OTHERS to decide if they want to denote me as their sensei or not. After all, the term literally means "one who lived before." Although the students I teach will most likely refer to me as "sensei," sometimes other people will not. I'm okay with that, especially since I understand the concept better now.

If you're new to my blog, carry on! Haha~

Onto more exciting things! The husband and I are in preparations for moving to Japan in less than 3 weeks now. This weekend we rented a moving truck and took things into storage. Not gonna lie, it was a miserable way to spend most of the holiday weekend. We also celebrated being Americans today by participating in the Peachtree Road Race. Running a 10K in the sweltering Atlanta heat was a first for both of us, but it was something on my bucket list. I finished with a time of 1:05:56, which wasn't terrible considering I was dodging 60,000 other people and had to stop a few times to let nausea subside.


Afterwards, we went home for a shower and quick nap, then celebrated our accomplishment with delicious burgers from the trendy restaurant "Flip" in Buckhead. Mine was paired with a Krispy Kreme milkshake. It's the little things in life :)


The other awesome thing that happened this weekend was that I purchased a Nook with leftover PayPal funds. Matt recently bought a tiny projector to bring to Japan to replace having a TV, and this was my little splurge to replace lugging books around. I'm excited to have it for the long plane / train rides especially!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...