Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Turning Things In

So as of today, I have submitted all the necessary documents to move forward with the JET Program. Somehow it ended up being a stressful ordeal similar to the application process, which I wasn't expecting in the least bit!

First, the Reply Form. Seems pretty basic but I did have to get passport-style photos taken and double-check with my JET Coordinator on a few things.
Cost: $14.99 USD for 4 Passport Photos

Next, the IRS 8802 Form. It was a bit tricky, but our handbook had concise directions on what to do for each section so that wasn't terrible. Of course, I had to make a trip to get a money order for submitting it to the IRS. As if they don't take enough money from me? ヾ(≧へ≦)
Cost: $35 USD + Shipping

Then there was the FBI Background Check. Thankfully, I got fingerprints and applied for this about a month ago so I'm just waiting on the results to come in.
Cost: $10 USD Fingerprints, $18 USD Background Check + Shipping

The FINAL BOSS was the Medical Health Check. Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by just waltzing into my mother's clinic to get an exam whenever I need one (she's a nurse practitioner so she has special powers to make lines disappear for me, haha), but I had NO IDEA you had to schedule physical exams so far in advance! My healthcare provider told me that my doctor would be happy to see me on June 24th. That was kind of way past the May 4th deadline. After several phonecalls, switching my primary physician and jumping though hoops, I got my exam done and TB test read, with a week to spare.
Cost: $10 USD (Yay Health Insurance!)

BONUS LEVEL = Passport name change. I decided to finally change this to match all my other documents, which have my married name. I can't wait to get my new passport in a few weeks. Or whatever it is.
Cost: $110 USD + Shipping, $9.99 USD for 2 Passport Photos

This afternoon I delivered everything by hand to the Consulate, since it's only 10 minutes away from my house. I even personally spoke with my JET Coordinator to clear things up and made sure everything was in order. It looks like I'm good to go! ヾ(=^▽^=)ノ My advice to anyone in the future, or even now is don't wait!!! You never know what hurdles you'll come across in getting your paperwork ready. It's best to get it finished and turned in ASAP instead of waiting until the last minute. There are plenty of alternates eager to take your slot! Also, make copies of everything for your own records.

2 comments:

  1. You don't have to pay for passport photos! My brother and I took ours at home for free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't HAVE to, but they really recommend it. Worth the money to not deal with the hassel & I don't have photo paper anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...